Top 10 Scenario Planning and Stress Testing Resources
A guide to a range of scenario planning and stress testing resources to assist boards, management teams and risk managers plan for the future.
- Scenarios: Shooting the Rapids, Harvard Business Review, November 1985 (Article)
Strategic planning processes and frameworks including case studies from Pierre Wack, economist and former Royal Dutch/Shell Group executive.
- Scenario Planning: A Tool for Strategic Thinking, MIT Sloan Management Review, January 1995 (Article $)
A good overview of the strategic planning process and benefits from Paul .J.H. Schoemaker, academic and management consultant.
https://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/scenario-planning-a-tool-for-strategic-thinking/ (Article $)
- Using Scenarios to Plan for Tomorrow, Harvard Business Review, March 2012 (Article)
A seven-step process for undertaking scenario planning from academic and management consultant, Mike Rosenberg
- Living in the Futures, Harvard Business Review, May 2013 (Article)
Practical advice and guidance on scenario planning from two former, Royal Dutch/Shell Group executives, Angela Wilkinson and Roland Kupers.
- Managing Financial Risk: The Role of Stress Testing and Downside Scenario Analysis, December 2019 (Article)
Article from the Creator & Founder of 52 Risks, Peter Deans outlining the benefits of stress testing and scenario planning in the corporate sector and how to undertake effective stress testing.
- Scenario Planning 101 for Directors, Company Director Magazine, February 2021 (Article)
Practical advice and guidance on scenario planning from Cheryl Durrant, a career defence specialist. The article has, in turn, a list of additional resources.
- Stress Rehearsal, Company Director Magazine, December 2021 (Article)
Article from the Creator & Founder of 52 Risks, Peter Deans outlining contemporary current techniques to assess new threats such as climate change.
- Stress Testing for Nonfinancial Companies, McKinsey (Article)
A recent article on the use of stress testing in the corporate sector.
- Good Practice Guide to Climate Stress Testing, United Nations Environment Programme (Document)
A detailed guide from the United Nations Environment Programme on climate change stress testing. Lots of diagrams, tips and advice on undertaking scenario planning and stress testing.
- Shell Scenarios, The Shell Group (Website)
A website from The Shell Group, a pioneer in scenario planning in the corporate sector. The website outlines the Shell Group’s approach to the development of scenarios and documenting numerous scenarios.